The Continuing Adventures of SuperPreemie

big big big day

Posted on: June 6, 2009

We had a very big day today.  This morning was kindergarten registration, and then we went straight from there to one of our favorite SCA events, which is a demo and renaissance faire at the Herschell Carrousel Museum.

So.  Kindy registration.  I had heard from friends that it was a bit of a nightmare.  And, well, it wasn’t as bad as I had been led to believe but it was kind of  a mess.  We got there about 10 minutes before the official start time and, if you believed our slip of paper, we were family #88.  The process went like this:

  1. Line up in the parking lot.
  2. Stand there until you get to the front of the line.  Get handed a slip of paper and let inside the building.
  3. Fill out some paperwork on top of the paperwork that you have already filled out and brought with you.
  4. Wait, first in the hall, then in a line in the gym where they have arrayed a bunch of tables staffed by 2 general-paper-checkers and one health-form-checker.
  5. Get a seat at a table where they go through your paperwork and then make photocopies of all of it.
  6. Get sent upstairs to the special ed office (if you are us, anyway).
  7. Get sent back downstairs to fill out a “social and emotional profile” about your child.
  8. Get released to the wilds of the big tent with tables where you get a free backpack full of stuff, a free bike helmet, a free “healthy snack”, and paperwork to fill out if your kid is going to be bussed to or from anywhere that isn’t your home address (which S may well be, to the JCC for after-school program).

It was a lot of waiting, obviously.  And the woman who processed our paperwork was not the swiftest.  But Shoshanna met one of the secretaries from the office at her school (she was processing paperwork at the next table over), and she looooves her new blue bike helmet with the racing stripes.  Having to go up to the special ed office was a blessing, because we were able to find out what’s going to happen with her PT much more quickly that way than if I had tried to do it on the phone.  (Answer: her IEP should transfer seamlessly to her new school.  Hooray!)  And she and her friend Grace spent some time running back and forth to each other as we moved through the line – Grace and her mom were about 20 or 30 people behind us in line.  We also found out that another preschool friend (who was not in the pre-k class this year) will be at her elementary school.

The Pint Sized Lady in Waiting (3)When we were done downtown we immediately hopped in the car and drove to the carousel museum for Brass Ring Thing.  Shoshanna played for several hours and then THE BEST THING EVER HAPPENED.  Ages ago, Matthew had the idea to volunteer Shoshanna to attend the Queen if there was a low-key event that we would all be at.  A low-key event like, say, Brass Ring Thing which isn’t even so much an SCA event as an SCA demo.  So we had set that up, and during the late afternoon Shoshanna waited on Her Majesty for about an hour and a half.  Thankfully, Her Majesty enjoys the company of prattling four-year-old girls who worship her.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Flickr Photos

Recent Preemie News


%d bloggers like this: